Quick Tip: Deleting, declining and voiding envelopes in DocuSign
Quick Tip: how to delete or void envelopes in DocuSign
Should you void an envelope in DocuSign, delete it or decline? That is the question. Many users wonder which option to choose when managing envelopes. Before selecting an option, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. Let’s look at what each option does.
Voiding envelopes in DocuSign (Sender):
Voiding envelopes in DocuSign is an easy way to cancel the envelope. If you’ve made an error, follow these instructions to correct an envelope instead.
Voiding envelopes in DocuSign cancels the signing process for any remaining signers and places a VOID watermark on the document(s). All recipients will receive a final notification that the envelope has been voided. Senders are required to enter a void reason when voiding envelopes.
Envelopes that have been voided will remain in your Inbox or Sent folder until you delete them.
Note: Any signatures collected on the envelope prior to voiding will become invalid. You can Clone an envelope after voiding it to correct and resend for signature.
To void an envelope you’ve sent, follow these steps:
- From the Manage page, locate the in process envelope that you want to void.
- Click the drop-down arrow to show the actions menu and select Void.
- Enter a brief reason for voiding the document. This reason is included in the email notification sent to recipients, and is added to the envelope Details and History views.
- Confirm by clicking VOID.
The envelope has been voided. A VOID watermark will be applied to the document(s) and any signatures already collected on the envelope are now invalid. Recipients who have not yet signed can no longer view or sign it. For recipients who have finished signing and the sender, voiding does not restrict their access to it.
Declining envelopes in DocuSign (Signer):
If you do not wish to sign an envelope you’ve received, you can decline to sign the envelope.
Declining the envelope cancels the signing process for any remaining signers. The sender and other recipients will receive a final notification that the envelope has been marked as declined and cannot be completed. A signer is required to enter a decline reason when declining an envelope.
Note: If there are multiple recipients in a sequential routing order, only recipients that have already signed will be notified that the envelope has been declined.
Envelopes that have been declined will remain in your Inbox or Sent folder until you delete them.
Note: Any signatures collected on the envelope prior to declining will become invalid. As a sender, you can clone an envelope after a signer declines it to correct and resend for signature.
To decline an envelope you've received, follow these steps:
- Open the email from DocuSign and click Review Documents. This allows you to view the document prior to declining,
- In the upper-right of the envelope click Other Actions and select Decline to Sign.
- Enter the reason for declining the envelope, then click Decline.
- Click Exit.
The envelope has been declined. Any signatures already collected on the envelope are now invalid.
Deleting an envelope in DocuSign:
You can delete a Docusign envelope in some instances. Envelopes with the following statuses can be deleted:
- In Process: The envelope has been sent and is awaiting signatures from recipients. As a sender, you can only delete an In Process envelope if you are the only signer. As a signer, you can delete any In Process envelopes you have received. Note: Deleting an In Process envelope does not void or decline the envelope. You will still receive reminders to sign the envelope until it is voided or until it expires.
- Completed: The envelope has been signed by all parties and is complete.
- Voided: The sender has cancelled the envelope, and any additional signers are unable to sign.
- Declined: A signer has declined to sign, voiding the envelope for the sender and any additional signers.
- Draft: The envelope has not been sent.
Deleting a DocuSign envelope removes it from your Sent or Drafts folder and places it in the Deleted folder. Envelopes in the Deleted folder will be purged within 24 hours.
Note: If you do not have a copy of the document(s) in the envelope saved and the envelope is purged from the Deleted folder, you will not be able to access the document(s). To download a document from an envelope you’ve sent or signed, from your inbox, double click the envelope, and then click Download.
To delete an envelope you’ve sent or received, follow these steps:
- From the Manage page, locate the envelope you want to delete.
- Click the drop-down action list for the envelope and select Delete.
- The envelope is deleted and placed in your Deleted bin.
The envelope has been moved to the Deleted folder. It will be purged from the Deleted folder within 24 hours.