When someone emails documents to you, you can sign them right from your iPad or iPhone. It’s easy to do, if you’re using iOS 9 or later and the Markup preview in the built-in Mail app for iOS. You can sign PDFs or other types of documents sent as attachments.
To electronically sign emailed documents on your iPad or iPhone:
- Preview the attachment in the Mail app.
- Tap the toolbox icon, and then tap the Signature button in the Markup preview.
- Sign the document using your finger on the touchscreen, and then tap Done.
- Place the signature where it belongs in the document, and then tap Done again.
When you reply to the sender’s email using the Mail app, the sender receives your signed attachment.
If I’m not using the iOS Mail app, how do I sign documents on my iPhone or iPad?
If you aren’t using the built-in Mail app for the iPhone or iPad, or if your device uses a version earlier than iOS 9, you can still eSign documents. If you’ve received a DocuSign document, all you have to do is open the attachment and follow the online instructions to add an eSignature and send it back.
If someone sent you a PDF, Word document, or other type of file, use DocuSign’s free trial to electronically sign your document on the iPhone or iPad and then return it to the sender.
- On your phone, in the Mail app, save the contract or agreement you need to sign.
- Sign up for a free trial at DocuSign, and then log in to your free trial account.
- Follow the instructions to upload the document from your iPhone or iPad and to electronically sign it. Use your finger to sign on the touchscreen.
- Email the eSigned document back to the sender.
It’s that easy to eSign on an iPhone or iPad.
What if I need to send documents for electronic signing or if I need to sign a lot of documents on my iOS device?
No problem. DocuSign has an award-winning mobile app that makes it easy and secure to send and sign documents from your iPad or iPhone. You can access a signed document, no matter where you are, and you can sign almost anything in a few taps.
Are electronic signatures on the iPhone and iPad secure and legal?
DocuSign securely stores your documents and allows you to manage access to them. Electronic signatures created with DocuSign are legally- binding in many situations and countries, including in the United States and the European Union. See our Legality Guide for additional details.