How to sign a document in Google Docs
Do you want to know how to sign a document in Google Docs? It’s easy to electronically sign a Google Doc without having to leave the application. You can add an electronic signature to a Google Doc on a contract, offer letter or non-disclosure in just a few minutes. In this blog, you can discover how to add an electronic signature in Google Docs in just a few easy steps.
Electronic signatures are legally binding and create enforceable legal contracts that are widely accepted. They are more secure than traditional paper-based signatures as they are less susceptible to forgery.
A step-by-step guide of how to sign a document in Google Docs
Firstly, open Google Drive and install the DocuSign add-on. Next, create a new Google Doc or open an existing Google Document. Choose “Add-ons” from the menu and navigate to “Get add-ons.” This will open the G Suite Marketplace.
Use the G-Suite marketplace search bar, type in DocuSign. Then click the plus icon and confirm the installation.
Once the add-on has successfully loaded, you will discover the new menu option on the drop-down in Google Docs. This is called “DocuSign eSignature.” Choose it and click on “Sign with DocuSign.”
If you are using the add-on for the first time, DocuSign asks for permission to run. Just click the ‘Continue’ button.
How to sign Google Docs document
Now you have installed the DocuSign Add-On for Google Drive; you can follow the steps below to electronically sign documents in Google Drive.
- From Google Drive, create a new Google doc. Or find the existing document you want to sign electronically. (If you are creating a new document, finish editing before starting the signing process.)
- Click the Add-ons menu.
- Click DocuSign Electronic Signature for Docs and Sign with DocuSign.
You can sign up for a free DocuSign account, if you don’t already have one.
4. Log into your account by entering your DocuSign user name and password, and you will then reach the ‘Ready to Sign’ landing page.
5. When you click the ‘START’ button, you will be able to select who is signing your Document.
6. For this selection, choose ‘Only Me’, and it will create a read-only version of your document that is ready for you to add signature fields and more.
7. Next, drag and drop your signature and any other fields you want to use into your document.
8. When you have completed the signing of your document online, select ‘Finish’. You’ll discover that the window closes and within a few minutes, the completed document is available in your Drive account in a folder which will be labelled “DocuSign-Completed.”
This folder is created automatically when you first digitally sign or send a Google doc for signature.
When you reach the signing completed page, close the browser tab and click the ‘next steps’ button and you will return to Google Documents. You can email a copy of the document or download a copy.